Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Unbearable Lightness of Being

More of the teaching game against minue.

Second interesting situation in the game:



Here, we had a fight in the upper left, which got good result for black, and black needs to figure out what to do now. Sounds easy, eh?

I looked at the board, and decided that I wanted to pull out my F10 stones. Mostly for lack of finding better moves, not because I was convinced it was the right thing to do. The game goes downhill very fast from there. Bad bad bad idea.

What I didn't recognize, was how light my F10 stones were. I used them to get good corner result. They served their purpose and are disposable now. Instead, the focus point of the game is somewhere else.

Let's pretend black will pass, where would white like to play? White would love to get move A. Black just has to prevent white from doing so, and black's game is fine.



Black has pretty easy way of checking the top, for example this:



Game is good for black now.
Moral of the story: Don't try to save light stones by making them heavy.

The game review has more followups and variations.

No comments: