Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Go Geocaching!

After seeing the The Ancient Game of Go cache, hidden by Anton Ninno of the Syracuse Go Club, I decided that I would love to hide a local go cache too. It took me a while, but with some help from Anton, I got it all together.

As a little side note, for people who have no idea what the heck geocaching is, it basically means using a GPS to find caches hidden all over the world. We got our GPS last August, and have been hooked ever since. More information can be found at Geocaching.com.

On Sunday, I took my ammo box and the baby, and hiked up on one of our local mountains. It was a lovely day. Saw lots of chickadees and other birds, heard the distant sounds of frogs in a pond, and I enjoyed the solitude. I have to admit that I did do a bunch of joseki in my head while hiking, but that's only appropriate for a go cache, right?

Found the perfect hiding spot, took coordinates, and went home to list The Ancient Game of Go II. The box has the usual trading items, and I also put in 9x9 boards copied on card stock, which can be used to create a $2.41 simple go set. There are flyers about go, with the rules of the game, and an explanation of capture go, to get people started. It also contains links to the AGA and some go web sites.

Looking forward to having people find this cache, and maybe get them interested in playing go.

Last night, I played a guest on KGS, who seemed a bit stronger than I was. In the middle game, he started making mistakes though, and even although I still was behind, things were getting closer. It must have worried him, because he disappeared. Annoying, but I had a good game up till that happened. I guess it's a risk of playing guests. But I also have had very good experiences playing them, so I'll just shrug and find some one else to play :-)

Today, it took me 24 minutes to get through the first 200 problems of the Korean Problem Academy. So there is some progress, but I still make way too many mistakes. Good exercise!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At the first (and only, really) geocache I ever visited, I left a copy of Korschelt's Theory and Practice of Go. I kind of wish I had it back, now.