Thursday, January 31, 2008

Oza Round Four: Calmness

Sunday morning, I woke up at the tail end of a dream. In my dream, we just had played a game, were counting, and I won the game by a few points. Good start of the day, before it even had started ^^



I talked to a friend about calmness and meditating, and we both agreed we should meditate just now, just for a few minutes before the game madness started. It wasn't much, but even the few minutes helped me to find and keep my calmness during my first game.

This time, I got black again. I had been studying Chinese opening.



Geez, I sure hoped this was not going to be one of those boring moyo versus moyo games! I decided that I would do it the easy way, invade at A and then simply reduce his moyo enough to win the game. Sounds like a piece of cake, doesn't it?



We played a few more moves.



I paused. This smelled a lot like a moyo pivot. The shape seemed to be for black to play at A, but I did not want to give white a good move at B in reply.

After thinking for a while I decided to play this way.



In my universe, this prevented white from having a good move to build his moyo. In reality, playing at A would have been correct. White's move at B would be answered by playing in upper right corner at Q14.



This game black position has an invasion at H17, and looking back, my move feels clumsy.



Luckily, my opponent cut me at A, which gave me a nice, juicy group to chase. I was not unhappy.



Time to make mistake in direction of play. I played M18, figured I would strenghten my top group. But that group is fine for now, and I'd better pressure from the other direction at P13. This is what the board would look like with correct direction of play.



My result wasn't bad, but I still wish I would have played P13. It seems like such an obvious move now.



We played, and we played, and we played. He got a nice moyo, so I did a lot of counting to make sure I stayed ahead. I stopped recording here.



I won the game by 11.5 points. I fully believe that the few minutes of meditation before this game helped me maintain my calmness and focus. I am sure there is a lesson to be learned from that. I hope I am finally ready to learn it.



Sendol review of this game.

No comments: