Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Getting My Losses Out of The Way

I was going to write a long post about yesterday's Boston tournament, but things have been more crazy than usual here, so will do the Cliff notes version instead.

I played at shodan and went 1-3. I had a great time meeting friends, and playing. I lost more than I liked, but I feel good about the tournament anyway, got my losses out of the way just in time for the Oza.

First game, I played against a shodan, and he cut at A, immediately after this joseki. I thought that was too early, but somehow I didn't punish correctly, will have to figure out what I should have done. At the end of the game, I got in time trouble. Made so many bad moves in byo yomi madness. I resigned.



Second game, against nidan, I suffered from greed and hastiness. Will have to work on that. I also got reminded that I know nothing about go. I don't think I can do much about that. Was fun to play mini Chinese again though, I hadn't played that in ages.

Third game, 2H against 2k, I panicked about giving stones and my game was not good at all.

Fourth game, 9H against 12k, I managed to kill too much, which was good, because he played very well for his level. I won that one. My only win, and not a very pretty one at that. I always feel like giving 9H is a lot of overplay and bullying, although I am getting better at playing reasonable moves, even in high handi games.

The AGA messed up my membership renewal. I paid early December both for Oza and renewal on same day, and seems like they made mistake because of the similarities between the payments. My membership info still hasn't been updated, notwithstanding two emails in their direction. Guess I'll have to gently prod them again, I would like to get it fixed before the oza. Which is one hundred and three hours away. Not that I am counting of course.

Came home, got sucked into real life by doing an unexpected grocery trip in preparation for today's snow storm and birthday party (one of my kids). Then it was time for sendol lesson, and eventually I even got some sleep ! Such a waste of time. I could study more if I didn't have to do the whole sleeping thing.

1 comment:

david mcmahon said...

You had my attention all the way thru. Yep, pity we have to ``do the sleep thing''!!