Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Calmness

Calmness or lack thereof seems to be a recurring theme in my weiqi quest. I finally feel like I am starting to be able to reach some calmness when I play. I still have a long way to go, but I managed to do well against an opponent whose style usually is hard for me. I tried to play strong and calm moves, and mostly succeeded. I still made many mistakes, but feel good about my game overall.

It helped to get some peptalk before the game (thank you, flame ^^) and to just focus on the board and my breathing, not on the opponent.

It still is interesting to me how much of a difference state of mind makes in go. A huge difference.

The weather has been nice, so I have been taking my kids to the playground, bringing my goban to keep myself entertained while watching them. Works well.



Today, I am working through Cho Chikun l/d problems. A few weeks ago, I started using gogrinder, and I have found it a very useful study tool. I am determined to master all those shapes in Cho Chikun's encyclopedia of life and death, but it will take some time to do so. Good reading practice ^^

I signed up for the iwamoto tournament, looking forward to participating and hopefully playing good games.

No comments: