Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Mirror Go in Handicap Game

Last week, I was playing on one of my bogus accounts when I ran into this situation. I always play Chinese rules, so that means free handicap placement. This was a 4H game and he placed his handicap stones like this.



I thought 'Great! This is going to be an interesting game!' I wasn't too worried. I figured he might not know how to use this power. And if he did, we would have some good fighting, which is always fun.

Well... It didn't take long for me to realize what he was doing.



He was mirroring my moves... I know there are ways of breaking mirror go, involving ladders and such. But in this case, his four center handicap stones were interfering with that. I took a long break to ponder what to do and came up empty.

So I played a bit more and then decided to stop the mirroring. I played 29 as a probe to see what he would do, he replied at 30.



I tried to set up things so that if he would mirror more, it would go bad for him, but not for me. I wasn't very succesful at it though. He stopped mirroring anyway.

I have been pondering what to do next time this happens. Play the tengen move sooner and take it from there? Are there other strategies I can use? It's an interesting question, I welcome any input people have on it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well in this case after playing tengen, you could start mirroring your opponent just to give him a taste of his own medecine :D

xed_over said...

wow, interesting game

I wonder why your opponent played at K12 leaving you with 4 liberties still instead of connecting one side of the "peep" (K11)

seems like now, you could easily escape and nullify his advantage

Bob Solovay said...

Could you give a link to the sgf file for this game?